Thursday, November 16, 2006

What a week!

This week has been filled with all kinds of "excitement" for us. On Monday Tyrell swallowed a paperclip...he puts absolutely EVERYTHING in his mouth so if it's on the floor it will very shortly be in his mouth. I noticed he was chewing on something and so, sure enough, he had a paperclip in his mouth. As I tried to take it out of his mouth he swallowed it. So, not too big of a deal...apparently it should pass in a day or two although I've still seen no evidence of it. But I can't say I've checked really closely!

On Tuesday, Tyrell broke his collarbone. Totally my fault...I was at the bank and he was sitting on the counter because the floors were disgusting and I didn't want him crawling through the water and mud that were on the floor. In hindsight, that, apparently, would have been a better option than what happened! I had him sitting on the counter and I thought I had my leg/hip in front of him enough that he'd be okay. Well, I was wrong! He doesn't sit still and the next thing I know he is falling and I couldn't do anything about it. So he screamed and screamed and cried some more and wouldn't settle down. In the meantime I was crying too because I felt so bad. You don't understand the meaning of guilt until you have something happen to your child that was totally in your control to prevent. Anyway, so off to emergency we went. And, of course, it was super busy so I spent about 21/2 hours there and finally saw the doctor who said that, yes, he did fracture his collar bone and the xray confrimed it. They then put his arm in a sling because there is really nothing to do for a broken collarbone but try to keep it immobile. Ever try to keep a 1 year old's arm immobile? Not possible! So I now have his arm wrapped in a tensor bandage so that it is somewhat protected but he can still crawl and do his thing. The first day and a bit were bad but he seems to be doing okay now. Crawls around and pulls himself up so I guess it wasn't that bad. He doesn't cry out in pain like he did the first day.

And then today was his 1 year shots day. And shots never go well with Ty. He was crying before the needles ever even got close to him. I think he knew something was happening. They are so much smarter than we give them credit for. Like last night, I had a babysitter come and at first when he heard the door he thought it was Jeremy but when he saw who it was, he immediately came to me and started crying and woudn't allow me to put him down. As I left he was screaming at the top of his lungs! Gotta love having a mamma's boy! It's just so funny that the instant he saw the sitter, he knew I was leaving.

So, that's been my week and it's not over yet. I'm hoping that's all the craziness for a while.

I realize I also should post some pics from Ty's birthday party. Once I get them onto the computer I will do just that! Until then...have a great weekend!

3 comments:

Niki said...

I was talking to my mom yesterday and she mentioned Ty's collar bone. I couldn't help but think of Darryl falling into the basement when he was little and Darryl dropping Kyra when she was a baby and her arm breaking. Ty must have gotten some of those Reimer genes, eh?
And the guilt? I can't imagine! On Sunday, one of our friends' kids came over to me on the pew and sat on my lap and stayed with me for singing and as she was walking back on the pew, she fell off. She was fine,nothing happened, but I felt SOO bad!

Bonnie said...

Oh the trials, traumas and tribulations of being a mother!! I'm sure most (if not all of us) have a story or two to tell of things that we could have prevented ... like when Zach fell head first off the couch onto the laminate floor and knocked himself out while I sat on the cushion right next to him and watched it all happen!! Oh yeah, we feel terrible but kids will be kids!! As for the paperclip, I understand that one too ... at 2-1/2 Zach stills trys to put everything in his mouth!!
You are a good mom though ... don't beat yourself up over it too much!!
Looking forward to Ty's b.day pictures!!

Paul and Laura said...

The loving care you give your son far outways the mistakes! You are doing a great job, Rachael, and I am so blessed to have you mothering my grandson!

Grandma Laura