Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Lessons Learned as a Mom

1. Sleep is over-rated! You can actually survive on a lot less sleep than you think. In my life before kids, I used to think that I NEEDED at least 8 hours of sleep a night but I don't think I've had a full eight hours in 7 months! And I seem to do OK. Granted, life for November and December is a bit of a blur but you'd be surprised at how little sleep you can function on. And you can't fully grasp that idea until you become a mom.

2. Poop is something to look forward to! Each and every day you hope that your child has a BM and you're actually excited to see the poop when he does. That's all I'll say about that! Other mom's will understand.

3. Baby spit is on everything I own! You wear it everywhere and you really just don't care that it's there. You get over the idea that you will actually get out of the house in something clean...ever!

4. And even after all these things, one smile from your child will melt away any anger or frustration that you might have being woken up two times the night before, changing 3 diapers with poop that day and not ever wearing anything without baby spit on it!

5. Being a mom is the greatest (and most overwhelming) job in the world! And I wouldn't trade it for anything!

2 comments:

Bonnie said...

I couldn't have said it better myself!!!

amy said...

Hi Rachel,
I totally agree. Sounds like you have a spitter too. I never understood how parents could walk around without a spit cloth. I don't miss those days...